On the 17th January, 2013 The Asa Wright Nature Centre hosted a follow-up Community meeting in the Mango room. This meeting was convened to further the discussion hosted in December when Ms. Sasha Jattansingh of GEF/UNDP outlined the potentials for funding certain community initiatives. The meeting was chaired by Steve Maximay, Agricultural Consultant and current Chair of the Board’s Sustainable Management Committee. Mr. Maximay emphasised the desire of Asa Wright Nature Centre to partner with communities on various projects that would help stabilise their area and help keep the valleys pristine. From the meeting, we had a wide array of project ideas including:
- Utilising the ever popular bamboo to make furniture and other crafts
- Enhancing the trail to Advocat waterfalls
- Developing an agro-tourism project
- Constructing huge recyclable bins
- Possible boat tours from Blanchisseuse fishing village to Paria Bay
Participants were encouraged to begin the goals and the methodologies so that these could be fine-tuned for eventual their project proposals by describing presentation to GEF UNDP.